Thursday 19 November 2009

I Confess: On The Dress, There Has Not Been Much Progress

This is approximately what it should look like when finished. The skirt will stand out more because of the underskirt, and I'm hoping to make a sash also, but you get the idea.

So, I didn't manage to get Gosling's dress finished before the wedding, which was a pity, but totally expected. The bride lent me a gorgeous little purple dress that had been her daughters, so my bub was cute and matching anyway. So glad I'm not the only one who has a stash of no-longer-needed baby clothes lying around.

I am continuing to work on the dress, and I'm quite happy with how its coming along. It doesn't look professional, but I never expected it to. I'm sewing it by hand, I'm making it up as I go along, its by far the hardest thing I've ever attempted (yes, I consider a dress to be harder than a stuffed toy), and I only have very short spurts in which to sew - we're talking 5 minutes here, 10minutes there - so yes, I'm quite happy with how things are turning out.

Things I've learnt thus far:
  • backtracking on a row of running stitch is nicer than doing a whole row of backstitch (thats nicer as in 'I prefer doing it', not necessarily 'looks better')
  • skirts are easy, except for the opening at the back for a zip/buttons
  • sewing is easier if you don't have a baby sitting on your lap
  • sometimes, my stitches are visible where they shouldn't be, and I DON'T CARE
  • arm holes are EVIL
  • it helps if you have your pattern figured out before you start the actual sewing
  • the needle threader is close to useless
  • clipping curved seams/hems makes them sit SOOOOOOOOOOO much prettier
  • pins are good, use as many as will fit
  • ARM HOLES ARE EVIL
  • I want to rub my face on the paler fabric because it is so nice and soft
  • I still can't use a thimble
  • I need to find my own scissors and stop using mum's
  • I really don't know if I'm up to hand sewing button holes, and may have to break out the machine when it gets to those.
  • ARM. HOLES. ARE. EVIL.*
    Unfinished arm-hole. Needs to have a facing put on.

My current aim is to get it done by Christmas. That would be good. Don't know that it will happen. The fact that Gosling is now sleeping unwrapped most of the time should help, but this wretched heat makes me want to just lie down and sleep too, instead of sewing or cooking or cleaning or feeding the kids (did I just say that?)..

Having two separate needles helps too. I have a scrap of fabric in my pin box with the needles in it when they aren't in use, and I am in fact using two needles. One for the dark thread, one for the light. I have no idea why its making things easier for me, but I've found it a lot easier to switch needles, and keep threading each one with its own coloured thread, rather than using one needle and alternating thread colours. I know, my brain works oddly.



*The mostly-arm-hole-shaped facing I've used instead of trying to 'hem' them properly has made things a LOT easier. But what would have made it EVEN EASIER, is if I'd made the shell and lining separately and then put them together, instead of treating it as one piece. Then I wouldn't have had to bother with all the clipping and folding and facing and cutting and screaming and swearing and finger stabbing and trying to only sew through three-out-of-four layers.... Next time. Next time I'll know.

0 reactions: