Saturday 9 January 2010

Of Roots and Proper Pronunciation

I've noticed that I refer to my father as 'my father' and my mother as 'mum' throughout this post, and I find that rather interesting. I was brought up to call them Daddy and Mummy respectively, and seeing as they each referred to their own parents thus until their passing, it would be acceptable, and possibly, to them, even preferable for me to continue to do so. While I love my parents, I do not get on with my father particularly well, and my mum less well than I would like, and the terms 'my father' and 'mum' reflect this.


My father was born in England at the tail end of WWII. His father had served in the British navy during the war and became a politician, and later a door-to-door salesman, his mother could best be described as a socialite. She claimed to have had tea with the Queen, been kidnapped by a sultan, and run off to join a circus at 16. I'm serious. His family lived in Jamaica when he was very young, and when they moved back to England and he started school, he was sent to boarding school. He went to Clifton College, and upon watching Monty Python movies, noted which teachers John Cleese based the characters on - he was a year ahead of my father. My father moved to Australia with his first wife when he was in his early 20s, moved back to England a few years later, moved back to Australia after marrying my mother, and is a LAWYER.

Mum was born 362 days later, in the U.S.A. Her father was a farmer who had served in the U.S. army in Britain, opting to stay at desk work instead of taking the better paying job as a sniper, because he couldn't bear to take a human life. Her mother was a "war bride", a British girl who fell in love with an American soldier, and went back to the states with him. She had what the doctors called "muscular dystrophy", but still went out every day to fetch water from the well at the log house my grandfather built, when she had two young children. When mum was 15 they moved back to England, for better medical care for her mother, and mum left school, not being able to stand being in the 'babies' french class - she hadn't learned french in the U.S.A. She had various jobs, among which was taking tours in Spain and teaching rudimentary English. She married my father when she was a secretary at the same law firm he was at, and they moved to Australia. Some 20 years ago she started work as an ENGLISH TEACHER (teaching the language to overseas students) and is now head of department at an English Language school for overseas students. She re-started her education at the age of 50 when she went to University in order to earn more.

What was the point of all that? Well, there are a few main things to take note of:
  • My father is ENGLISH, and was raised fairly upper-class.
  • He is a LAWYER.
  • My mum is an ENGLISH TEACHER.
  • She was raised in the U.S. by an English mother, who wanted to make sure she spoke properly.
  • She has a masters degree.
These have contributed to my upbringing quite a bit. We never had much money when I was young, because my father never learnt how to save, but by golly we were taught how to behave well, and speak properly.

I was born in, and have lived most of my life in, a country where Steve Irwin's accent, while ridiculed, is actually quite normal, the 8th letter of the alphabet is habitually pronounced HAITCH, the c-word is a far too common nickname/greeting/insult, and when an ad on the TV got complaints for using the word "bugger", they issued an apology ad, using the word about sixty-gazillion more times. Despite this, I somehow ended up with an almost-English accent, and often say/pronounce things in a way that makes my American raised (British-born, but he claims it doesn't count) husband walk around with his chin tucked under and his teeth sticking out, being "British".

I distinctly remember my father teaching us that the 'h' in any 'wh' should always be pronounced, before the 'w'. Thus:
  • Hwale
  • Hwether
  • Hwip
  • Hwat
Am I alone in this? Is it a very English thing? Is it just downright wrong? Should I bother trying to teach my children this pronunciation? Critter has somehow managed to pick up an almost South African accent, so I hold hopes that he at least won't sound like a Queenslander, but should I try to push the Hw while correcting him to AITCH?

2 reactions:

Anonymous said...

I would definately teach your son Aitch as that is correct, I'm not sure about the hw thing - even the best educated - I'm talking very posh schools here, people that I know do not say the h before the w, I do know of a number of people in Scotland that do so I always assumed it was a Scottish thing. If it was supposed to be hw I am certain my fanatical linguist father would have taught me that...

Sarah said...

"Haitch" drives me bonkers. I cringe every time I hear it, and it is incredibly common here. I've even heard newsreaders use it, and they usually have the mildest accents. The real problem is that a lot of teachers use it, so unless parents are vigilant, the kids just don't have a chance.

I've never really heard anyone else use "hw" but I'm certain my father taught it to us as children. And when he speaks there is a definite difference between "weather" and "whether", although it is quite subtle. I think I probably won't bother with it, but I was very curious to see if anyone else was taught that way.